Let the Healing Begin II

I was released from the hospital this morning and made it back to the apartment by 10. After minimal — and the typically bland — food at the hospital, I definitely gorged myself. Trying to decide whether I’ve got the energy to walk across the street to the cafe for something more substantial. I’m probably still a little anemic, since I’ve got a huge craving for red meat.

I do look a bit scary though. Head is wrapped up in bandages, and one eye is completely black and blue, visible stitches at the bottom my nose (from the lip lift) and my nostrils are still packed. Fortunately they’re now just packed with cotton, and if necessary I can take them out temporarily today. I’ll be able remove them tomorrow, which will be nice, since it’s uncomfortable breathing through my mouth. Not to mention I can’t smell anything, so I can’t taste much either.

I’m just really thankful that at the hospital I was able to sit up and walk to the bathroom myself this time around instead of being catheterized.

The hospital beds both time were really uncomfortable, and because I needed to keep my head raised, it put pressure on my lower back, butt and tailbone. Last time around I was confined to bed the entire time and consquently I was stiff and sore for a week.

This time, I was able to ask for an extra pillow under my butt, and because they didn’t have the inflatable leg compression sleeves (to prevent blood clots), I was able to turn on my sides, which helped, as did being able sit up on the edge of the bed. Still a bit sore, but nothing like last time.

They seemingly were less concerned about my health this time around, since they just had a translator watching me overnight in my room — unlike the English-speaking medical resident last time — and they didn’t ask her to stay at the apartment for an additional six hours like last time. Like medical resident last time, the translator thought I looked much stronger than most of the other patients she’s sat with.